среда, 27 января 2010 г.

OAP's fag savings go up in puff of smoke

A chain-smoker is battling with customs after they seized his year’s supply of cigarettes.
Widower Len Penman, 72, from Stantonbury, went to Adinkerke in Belgium and spent £800 on tobacco.
The 30-a-day pensioner bought 3,200 Superking cigarettes, 400 cigarillos, 200 cigars and three grams of Golden Virginia tobacco – within the legal importation limits.
But a customs officer at Coquelles accused him of wanting to sell the goods despite Mr Penman arguing that he was going to smoke them all himself.
Since the trip on June 17, friends have written letters attesting to his 56-year habit.
But correspondence from HM Revenue and Customs maintains that Mr Penman’s motive was ‘commercial importation’.
The former Wolverton Works vehicle maker said: “I bought the limit so I wouldn’t have to go back there for another 12 months.
“I saved up the money to get the coach over there. They told us how much we were allowed to bring back and I stayed within that limit.
“But the bloke at customs accused me of wanting to sell them. He said to me: ‘I don’t think you smoke’. I showed him the nicotine on my nails and he still didn’t believe me.
“I’ve written letters galore to them. I feel like the bloke who seized them should be up for robbery.” The former Transport and General Workers Union branch manager said he has been made to feel like a drug smuggler.
However, he cannot afford the appeals process which would mean an overnight stay in Dover and solicitors’ costs running into thousands of pounds.
The village of Adinkerke attracts tobacco tourists to stock up on cheap cigarettes but HM Customs can use their discretion in confiscating from those they believewill sell them.
Mark Lancaster MP, who has fought the case on his constituent’s behalf, said: “I was shocked that Mr Penman could have been treated in this manner having followed the guidelines to the letter. I have and will continue to do all I can to get to the bottom of this.”

1 комментарий:

  1. He actually won his case.

    http://www.mk-news.co.uk/News/30-a-day-Len-wins-his-cheap-fags-fight.htm

    We've been fighting the UKBA in the UK for years. They rob passengers coming back to UK by using intimidation and other dirty tactics. ln 20 years of getting our cigarettes from EU we've never lost any ... despite numerous stop and searches from UKBA.

    ОтветитьУдалить