среда, 26 сентября 2012 г.

Some smokers have not learned about respect


Stop smoking signs are now part of our everyday lives and for the most part, people obey them. What I have noticed of late is the blatant disregard smokers seem to have for them; especially so in the places they should have the most effect. I went to Nanaimo Regional General Hospital today (Monday) with my wife and entered the front door. I noticed the grounds out front were filled with 'No Smoking' signs.

What stuck out to both my wife and I was the volume of people sitting or standing in front of those very signs smoking. Not one or two people but dozens. I guess I get it on streets, parks and large open spaces where smokers need to get their fix; but within feet of the front door of a hospital. I love a good irony now and then, but this is ridiculous. I note that large Vancouver Island Health Authority facilities have security guards.

Those guards should be given the authority to hand out fines, confiscate smokes and get people out of no smoking areas. The gauntlet my wife and I had to run to get from our car to the front entrance to the hospital was no less than 150 feet. It reminded me of the early days of the smoking ban in bars and restaurants; you'd have to hold your breath for the last 100 feet till you actually got inside. Obviously I'm a non-smoker; always have been and always will. But either enforce the laws, or at least take down the signs so it's not a constant reminder that people just don't care about my health even if they don't care about their own.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий